Main Horizontal

David McRee, CPA  offers:

  • Form 990 Return Preparation and Review

  • Consultations on nonprofit compliance issues

  • Penalty Abatement & IRS Problem Resolution

  • Preparation of Applications for Tax-Exempt Status



Form 990 Preparation

Take a load off of your shoulders by having your organization's Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-PF professionally prepared by a CPA. You'll be glad you did. Spend your time on your mission, not on paperwork. I've been preparing Form 990 for nonprofits since 1997.

Learn More...

Apply for Tax-Exempt Status

I'll help you get your tax-exempt status in the shortest possible time. I can help you obtain exempt status under most any classification: 501(c)(2), 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), 501(c)(6), 501(c)(7), etc. Do it right the first time.

Learn more...

IRS Penalty Abatement

I literally wrote the book on Form 990 Late-Filing penalty abatement. I can help you get relief from IRS penalties or to solve other problems your nonprofit has with the IRS. I can also provide you with the materials and knowledge to "do-it-yourself." Don't delay, get relief now!

Learn more...

Get Your Tax-Exempt Status Back

The faster you act to re-apply for your tax-exempt status, the easier and less complicated the process is. There are several ways to go about it and the rules are complicated. Even if you prefer to do it yourself, you should at least consult with a professional. Contact me for help.Learn More...

Have a Nonprofit Tax Question?

Sometimes you just need to talk to someone who's been down this road before. I'm available for consultations over the phone. Don't hesitate to contact me to set up a phone appointment.

Contact Me...

Form 990 Return Preparation

I prepare Form 990, Form 990-EZ, Form 990-N, and Form 990-PF for all types of tax-exempt organizations. I'll also be happy to review any of those forms that you have prepared to give you confidence that you have prepared them correctly.


Penalty Abatement Manual

Did you file your Form 990 late? Have you received a late-filing penalty from the IRS? If so, this book will help you write a "reasonable cause" letter to have the penalty abated based on the reasonable cause provision in the Internal Revenue Code. It works. Even if you don't think you have a good reason, get the book, or call me for help.

Tax-Exempt Status for Amateur Athletics

Rules for getting tax-exempt status as an Amateur Athletic Organization can be complicated. I've written a guide book and reference that brings all the IRS and Tax Court sources into one handy ebook that distills all the legal gobbledygook into easy-to-read plain English. And I've kept it to fewer than 90 pages.  It's almost like having me right there with you giving you guidance.


Nonprofit Founders, Officers, Directors

I can help you establish your organization and guide you through the process of getting your federal tax-exempt status. It's a complicated process and can be confusing. It won't be confusing when I'm helping shepherd you through the process. And I'll be glad to handle your ongoing tax filings or resolve IRS penalties and problems.

CPAS & Enrolled Agents

Do you have a client who wants to form a nonprofit? If you aren't comfortable with tax-exempt law, you may feel more comfortable referring that work out to a specialist, like me. Many professionals prefer not to prepare the Form 990 series returns, which are very different from individual and corporate returns and have a significant learning curve.

Professionals vs. IRS

Professionals may find themselves in a situation where an inadvertent error on their part has caused their nonprofit client to be assessed IRS penalties. It is best to seek help immediately in this situation. I have many years of experience in this area.


An attorney may wish to incorporate a nonprofit, but not be involved in ongoing tax compliance issues. This is where I can help. It is a valuable service to a nonprofit to introduce them to someone who can determine their filing requirements and help them meet those ongoing requirements.